Garden Calendar January
Garden calendar for the month of January
This month requires protection from frost and chilling/low temperature. Special care should be taken for tender plants. In nursery, tropical and sensitive plants should be shifted into the poly house or green house. If the frost is found in the garden or nursery, it should be washed off early in the morning. This month is good to clean the nursery as there is not much outside activities. One can take care of inventories, plan for future purchase and propagation.
- Winter flowering annuals are in full bloom. They should be given proper attention and dosing with manures and fertilizers.
- Plants amenable to damage by frost or chilling temperature should be protected by covering or moving them to sheltered positions whenever the necessity arises. Similarly, other plants subject to damage by frost or cold temperature should be protected as necessary.
- Foliage plant in pots is in dormant stage, watering should be restricted to a minimum, delicate varieties should be protected from the effect of cold winds and temperature.
- Weeding can be done in and around the shrubs, beds and groundcovers.
- Seeds of summer flowering annuals should be procured.
- Pits of planting trees and beds for new shrubberies, hedges and climbers should be prepared.
- Pruning of summer blooming types of climber like Bougainvillea can be done. Winter blooming climbers should not be pruned
- In lawn, wiping should be done to remove the dew and reduce the water use. Top dressing with the fertilizer (FYM) and river sand or otherwise urea can be broadcasted followed by light irrigation.
- Removal of infected leaves from the plant and disposing off in a far away site.
- On severe infestation, spraying of Captan on the infected plants.